PREPARED BY THE NEW YORK BUYERS' CLUBwww.newyorkbuyersclub.org 800-650-4983

Posted 3/16/07CLICK TO PRINT

NAME: Whey Protein
DESCRIPTION: Whey is derived as a natural byproduct of cow's milk cheese production.

Whey proteins comprise 20% of the proteins in cow's milk (the other 80% being casseins); they are comprised of a group of highly bio-available ("high-biological-value" or "high BV") proteins that have different functions.

Whey is processed to produce protein-rich whey protein concentrates (WPC) and whey protein isolates (WPI).

Whey protein concentrates are rich in whey proteins and also contain fat and lactose; whey protein isolates are low in fat and lactose.

FUNCTION: Whey protein supports muscle development because it is the richest natural source of BCAAs (Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine), important fuel components of muscle tissue.

Whey proteins are rich in L-cysteine and L-glutamate, two amino acids that are precursors to glutathione, an important antioxidant.

Whey proteins may have antimicrobial and immunomodulatory actions.

SOURCES: Whey.
DOSAGE: Varies by product.
DATA: In the 1980s and 1990s, several investigations of whey focused on its value as an easily absorbed protein source, especially helpful for building and sustaining the body’s lean muscle mass. In studies of HIV patients, both children and adults, whey protein proved to be a useful supplement to counter wasting and thereby improve overall health.

A 2006 report in Oxford's Journal of Tropical Pediatrics shows definite promise for whey protein use in PWHIV: Researchers studied the features associated with whey protein concentrate supplementation in children with rapidly progressive AIDS undergoing antiretroviral therapy and concluded that "whey protein concentrate supplementation can stimulate glutathione synthesis and, possibly, decrease the occurrence of associated co-infections."

CAUTIONS: Do not use if you are: hypersensitive to milk proteins.
FOR MORE
INFORMATION:
SUPPLEMENT Vol. 1, Issue 1: "The Truth About Whey Protein"

Abstract: Journal of Tropical Pediatrics: "Features of whey protein concentrate supplementation in children with rapidly progressive HIV infection."

Physician's Desk Reference explains the actual proteins present in whey protein.

RELATED
PRODUCTS:
Whey Protein (Jarrow). Each bottle, 2 pounds of 100% natural, unfiltered whey protein powder. Available in chocolate, vanilla, and natural/unflavored.

NutriVir (BIOnexus) Each container, 14.1 ounces (401 grams). Multiple nutrients in a whey protein base. NYBC regularly stocks the vanilla-flavored, "no sugar added" variety.

PRODUCT NOTES: Jarrow's Whey Protein formula is low in fat, lactose and carbohydrates, and rich in glycomacropeptides, which are biologically active proteins that improve the digestion and absorption of nutrients, and growth of bifidobacteria.
DISCLAIMER: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.